Skip to main content

Paul's Purpose & Ours


Listen for God’s word to you from 1 Corinthians 9…

Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord? Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me. Don’t we have the right to food and drink? Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas? Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?

Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk? Do I say this merely on human authority? Doesn’t the Law say the same thing? For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.” Is it about oxen that God is concerned? Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? Yes, this was written for us, because whoever plows and threshes should be able to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest. If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you? If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more?

But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

Don’t you know that those who serve in the temple get their food from the temple, and that those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me, for I would rather die than allow anyone to deprive me of this boast. For when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, since I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me. What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make full use of my rights as a preacher of the gospel.

Though I am free and belong to no one, I have made myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

 

Freedom


Perhaps more than any other chapter in 1 Corinthians, chapter 9 is filled with questions. Paul’s rhetorical questions fly forth at almost warp speed and drive what he wants to say to the Corinthian Christians in this section.


The first question Paul asks is: Am I not free?

The Corinthians are all about freedom, being free to do what they want to do. Paul talks a fair amount about freedom in his letters. This same word appears about 16 times in his correspondence. 6 of those appearances are in this letter.


People often ask me what I think about the Christian doctrine of “free will”. My answer is always: “I want Will to be as free as he possibly can be.”


Let’s face it: we all want freedom. The question is: how do we achieve it and what does that freedom look like for the Christian?


Jesus promises us freedom. He says in John 8:36, “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.”

That’s what we want—real freedom—the kind of freedom God created us and redeemed us to experience.


Apostleship


Paul asks this all-important question in verse 1, but he does not answer it until verse 19, so let’s wait on his answer and take a look at the next question he asks: Am I not an apostle?


This question raises another one: what is an apostle? The word means “one who is sent”. It is used some 88 times in the New Testament. The word is used of Jesus’ first twelve disciples in the Synoptic Gospels and Acts. The book of Acts also refers to Barnabas and Paul as apostles even though they were not numbered among the Twelve. Paul also refers to Andronicus and Junia as apostles in his letter to the Church at Rome.


How does Paul define his qualifications as an apostle? He defines those qualifications by asking two further questions. The first one is: Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? 


This seems to be the main qualification of an apostle in the New Testament, namely that he or she had seen the risen Lord Jesus Christ.


The second question Paul asks, in order to establish his apostleship is: Are you not the result of my work in the Lord? 


Paul considered himself to be an apostle because he had a vision of Jesus on the road to Damascus, but secondly because of the churches he established and the people whose conversion was a result of his work in the Lord.


The Rights of an Apostle


Paul goes on to talk about the rights of an apostle in verses 3 through 6. Apparently, some in Corinth were questioning his rights as an apostle and, perhaps, even if he was an apostle at all. One of the parties Paul has identified in Corinth is “The Peter Party”. Peter was one of the Twelve. Paul was not. Perhaps on this basis some questioned whether Paul was an apostle at all.


But having established his apostleship based upon having seen the risen Jesus and having started the church in Corinth, Paul continues to ask a series of rhetorical questions to advance his argument.


He asks: Don’t we have the right to food and drink?

Paul insists that those who serve the church as apostles have a right to the support of the church, specifically in terms of having their basic needs met.


Next, Paul asks: Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephas?


It is interesting that Paul specifically mentions Cephas, another name for Peter. Perhaps the Corinthians were comparing Paul and Peter unfavorably.


Apparently, it was accepted practice in the early church that the apostles had the right to take their wives with them on their travels. As we have already seen, Paul does not have a wife at this time, but he is insisting that if he did, he would have the right to bring her on his travels and for both apostle and spouse to be supported by the churches.


Paul’s third rhetorical question in this section is: Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?


It is interesting that Paul mentions Barnabas. As I pointed out earlier, the book of Acts considers Barnabas to be an apostle, but neither he nor Paul were among the Twelve. Paul insists that both he and Barnabas are apostles, sent by the Lord, and that therefore they both have the right to be supported by the church.


Examples of People with Rights


Paul goes on, in verses 7 through 14, to give examples of other types of people who have rights. And Paul continues to ask rhetorical questions to make his point.


Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Every soldier is paid for their work.


Who plants a vineyard and does not eat its grapes?  Every farmer gets to eat some of his or her crop.


Who tends a flock and does not drink the milk?  Every shepherd gets to drink milk from their flock.


Then Paul points out that even the Hebrew Law supports his argument. Paul quotes Deuteronomy 25:4, “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”


This may sound like a strange proof text for Paul’s point, but he is arguing in a typical rabbinic manner. He maintains that this text is not just about oxen but that it applies to human beings. Whoever plows and threshes should be able to share in the harvest. Paul has sown spiritual seed among the Corinthians therefore he should be able to reap a material harvest from them. Apparently, the Corinthians supported other missionaries. How much more should they support Paul who founded their church?


Paul’s final example is those who serve in the temple in Jerusalem. They get their food from the temple. Every Jew knew that according to Hebrew Scripture they had the responsibility to support those who worked in the temple. In fact, the temple workers got to eat the meat from the animal sacrifices.


In the same way, Paul says, those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. If Paul had not insisted on this so strongly, the Church might never have had paid clergy. Thank you, Paul!


Paul Gave Up His Rights


But here’s the thing… though Paul insisted on these rights for others, he himself never took advantage of these rights. He says, “I have not used any of these rights.” Why? Why in the world did Paul not take the financial support he was entitled to receive? He says he did it so as not to hinder the Gospel going forth. He did not want anyone to think he was simply in it for the money.


Paul may not have known about this teaching from Jesus, but if he had he would have agreed with it. In Mark 10:43-44 Jesus says, “Whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be slave of all.”


1500 years after Jesus and Paul, Martin Luther put it this way: “A Christian man is a most free lord of all, subject to none. A Christian man is a most dutiful servant of all, subject to all.” Paul lived out the truth embodied in that motto.


All Things to All People


In fact, Paul says, “I have become all things to all people.”


This can make it sound like Paul was hypocritical, like he was play-acting. This text makes it sound like he acted like a Jew in front of the Jews and like a Gentile in front of the Gentiles. Was Paul just play-acting? I don’t think so.


I had a member of my last church say to me one day: “You are a spiritual chameleon!” Now, that sounds bad, but she actually meant it in a good way. She went on to say, “You adapt yourself to whoever you are ministering to.” I hope that is true. To accompany others on their spiritual journey one must identify with them. Where there is no identification there can be no accompaniment. 


That’s what I think Paul was doing. He was identifying with people. He wanted to do anything he could, without being false to Jesus, to build bridges to people, bridges that they could walk over to find faith in Christ. That’s what I hope I can do as well, in my own small way. Paul’s purpose,  and I think ours, is to win others to Jesus Christ.


William Barclay has written, 


To have mended one shattered life, to have restored one wanderer to the right way, to have healed one broken heart, to have brought one soul to Christ is not a thing whose reward can be measured in financial terms, but its joy is beyond all measurement.

 

Run Your Race to Win


Finally, we come to the application for all of us in this chapter. Paul asks his final rhetorical question in this passage: Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? 


The obvious answer is “yes”. All runners in a race run, but only one gets the prize. Paul is identifying with the Corinthians by using this metaphor. The Isthmian games were held at Corinth. Those games were second only to the Olympic games. And the Isthmian games included a running race.


Now, here is the application for you and me. Paul says to us: Run in such a way as to get the prize.

Paul says, “Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training.” We all know this is true, especially when it comes to something like the Olympic games. The training of Olympic athletes is amazing. They spend years at it, whether they are runners, or boxers, or whatever sport.


And why do they do it? “They do it to get a crown that will not last.” The ancient Greeks trained hard to win a simple laurel wreath. Athletes today do it to get a gold, bronze, or silver medal, and perhaps very valuable corporate sponsorships.


But here’s the thing, Paul says that as Christians we go into training, and we run our race “to get a crown that will last forever”. Wow!


When I entered junior high school, I was a tad overweight. Sports and physical activity generally were not my favorite things in life. However, I had a physical education teacher who was truly inspiring. His name was Earl Toler.


Coach Toler gave extra points in physical education class if we did some jogging outside of class time and kept track of how many miles we ran. So, I started running a mile every morning before going to school.


I was always one of the last students to finish running the mile in class, something we had to do every Friday. But I will never forget one Friday when I ran the mile. I was coming into the home stretch, and I could hear Coach Toler yelling words of encouragement to me: “Great job Vaus! Magnificent effort! Keep going! You’re almost there!” And then I crossed the finish line, clocking in at just under eight minutes for the first time in my life. Coach praised me as though I had just won an Olympic gold medal.


Paul challenges each of us to run the race of life to win. The only person we are competing against is ourselves. And the only way we lose is if we sit down and give up. 


So, I echo the Apostle Paul and challenge you today: run your race to win. If you keep on running through to the finish line, one day you will hear the voice of the greatest coach ever, yelling words of encouragement: “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” (Matthew 25:23)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C. S. Lewis on Homosexuality

Arthur Greeves In light of recent developments in the United States on the issue of gay marriage, I thought it would be interesting to revisit what C. S. Lewis thought about homosexuality. Lewis, who died in 1963, never wrote about same-sex marriage, but he did write, occasionally, about the topic of homosexuality in general. In the following I am quoting from my book, Mere Theology: A Guide to the Thought of C. S. Lewis . For detailed references and footnotes, you may obtain a copy from Amazon, your local library, or by clicking on the book cover at the right.... In Surprised by Joy , Lewis claimed that homosexuality was a vice to which he was never tempted and that he found opaque to the imagination. For this reason he refused to say anything too strongly against the pederasty that he encountered at Malvern College, where he attended school from the age of fifteen to sixteen. Lewis did not rate pederasty as the greatest evil of the school because he felt the cruelty displa

Fact, Faith, Feeling

"Now Faith, in the sense in which I am here using the word, is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods. For moods will change, whatever view your reason takes. I know that by experience. Now that I am a Christian I do have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable: but when I was an atheist I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable. This rebellion of your moods against your real self is going to come anyway. That is why Faith is such a necessary virtue: unless you teach your moods 'where to get off', you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of Faith." Mere Christianity Many years ago, when I was a young Christian, I remember seeing the graphic illustration above of what C. S. Lewis has, here, so

C. S. Lewis Tour--London

The final two days of our C. S. Lewis Tour of Ireland & England were spent in London. Upon our arrival we enjoyed a panoramic tour of the city that included Westminster Abbey. A number of our tour participants chose to tour the inside of the Abbey where they were able to view the new C. S. Lewis plaque in Poets' Corner. Though London was not one of Lewis' favorite places to visit, there are a number of locations associated with him. One which I have noted in my new book,  In the Footsteps of C. S. Lewis , is Endsleigh Palace Hospital (25 Gordon Street, London) where Lewis recovered from his wounds received during the First World War.... Not too far away from this location is King's College, part of the University of London, located on the Strand, just off the River Thames. This is the location where Lewis gave the annual commemoration oration entitled The Inner Ring  on 14 December 1944.... C. S. Lewis occasionally attended theatrical events in London.

The Shepherds' Perspective on Christmas

On December 21, 2015, the following headline appeared in the International Business Times: “Bethlehem Christmas 2015 Cancelled”. To be fully accurate, religious celebrations of Jesus’ birth went forward last year in Bethlehem, but many of the secular celebrations of Christmas that usually surround it were toned down due to instability in the area. Looking back a decade, there was even one year when Christian Arabs canceled community celebrations of Christmas in support of the Palestinian uprising. However, the Jewish government would have no part of that, so the Israeli military sponsored its own holiday celebrations in the area. It is also interesting to note who celebrated the first Christmas and who didn’t. The first Christmas was not celebrated by the emperor Caesar Augustus, nor Quirinius, the governor of Syria, nor was it celebrated by the lowly innkeeper. But Christmas was celebrated by a few lonely shepherds along with Joseph and Mary and the angels of heaven. How

Does the Bible mention treating animals with kindness?

When I solicited questions to be addressed in this series, a member of the congregation wrote this to me: “Animals are mentioned in the Bible as beasts of burden and sacrificial animals.  Is there any mention of treating animals with kindness?” The short answer to that question is: yes. However, it is important to note that what the Bible says about caring for animals comes in the midst of a great narrative. It is a narrative of  Creation, Fall, and Redemption.  Let’s look at these three great acts in the narrative play of world history one by one. First, let’s look at creation. Creation At the very beginning of the Bible, in the book of Genesis, chapter 1, verses 26 through 28, we read this: Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the

A Prayer at Ground Zero

Christmas Day Thought from Henri Nouwen

" I keep thinking about the Christmas scene that Anthony arranged under the altar. This probably is the most meaningful "crib" I have ever seen. Three small woodcarved figures made in India: a poor woman, a poor man, and a small child between them. The carving is simple, nearly primitive. No eyes, no ears, no mouths, just the contours of the faces. The figures are smaller than a human hand - nearly too small to attract attention at all. "But then - a beam of light shines on the three figures and projects large shadows on the wall of the sanctuary. That says it all. The light thrown on the smallness of Mary, Joseph, and the Child projects them as large, hopeful shadows against the walls of our life and our world. "While looking at the intimate scene we already see the first outlines of the majesty and glory they represent. While witnessing the most human of human events, I see the majesty of God appearing on the horizon of my existence. While

C. S. Lewis on Church Attendance

A friend's blog written yesterday ( http://wesroberts.typepad.com/ ) got me thinking about C. S. Lewis's experience of the church. I wrote this in a comment on Wes Robert's blog: It is interesting to note that C. S. Lewis attended the same small church for over thirty years. The experience was nothing spectacular on a weekly basis. For most of those years Lewis didn't care much for the sermons; he even sat behind a pillar so that the priest would not see the expression on his face. He attended the service without music because he so disliked hymns. And he left right after holy communion was served probably because he didn't like to engage in small talk with other parishioners after the service. But that life-long obedience in the same direction shaped Lewis in a way that nothing else could. Lewis was once asked, "Is attendance at a place of worship or membership with a Christian community necessary to a Christian way of life?" His answer w

Sheldon Vanauken Remembered

A good crowd gathered at the White Hart Cafe in Lynchburg, Virginia on Saturday, February 7 for a powerpoint presentation I gave on the life and work of Sheldon Vanauken. Van, as he was known to family and friends, was best known as the author of A Severe Mercy , the autobiography of his love relationship with his wife Jean "Davy" Palmer Davis. While living in Oxford, England in the early 1950's, Van and Davy came to faith in Christ through the influence of C. S. Lewis. Van was a professor of history and English literature at Lynchburg College from 1948 until his retirement around 1980. A Severe Mercy tells the story of Davy's death from a mysterious liver ailment in 1955 and Van's subsequent dealing with grief. Van himself died from cancer in 1996. It was my privilege to know Van for a brief period of time during the last year of his life. However, present at the White Hart on February 7 were some who knew Van far better than I did--Floyd Newman, one of Van&

Glenmerle

Glenmerle in the 1950s In 2013 I published a biography on one of my favorite authors, Sheldon Vanauken. If you are interested, you can learn more and/or purchase a signed copy here:  Signed Copy  or an unsigned copy here:  Amazon . One of the things that got me writing the book was my search for the location of Glenmerle, Vanauken's childhood home, so lovingly described in his book, A Severe Mercy . A visit to Van's alma mater, Staunton Military Academy, alerted me to the fact that Van grew up in Carmel, Indiana. Then, with the help of a local historian, we identified the location of Glenmerle.  Because Van had suggested, in my first conversation with him, that Glenmerle was destroyed, I naturally assumed that the house no longer existed. However, another one of Van's fans recently contacted me to let me know that she believed she had found Glenmerle still in existence. I was able to look up the house on a real estate web site and compare current interior photos o