Skip to main content

Instruction about Prophecy & Worship


My first experience of what Christians call “speaking in tongues” was in a large worship service in San Diego where Pastor John Wimber was preaching. Wimber was known far and wide for his healing ministry. Suddenly, in the middle of the worship service, it seemed like the entire congregation began singing in tongues. I stood and watched prayerfully and with great fascination. The words they were singing were not the words of any recognizable human language. In a way, it sounded like babbling. But it was beautiful babbling as they all sang together in a heavenly harmony. It felt like waves washing over the entire auditorium.

 

My next experience of tongues came during my time at Princeton Seminary. During my first year in seminary, I visited several churches. In an Assemblies of God church in Princeton I witnessed speaking in tongues once again. This time one person in the congregation spoke in tongues. Again, it sounded like babble. But this time it was followed by another person in the congregation standing up and offering an interpretation or explanation in English of what the tongues speaker had said in their unrecognizable, perhaps heavenly, language.

 

Also, while at seminary, I met a fellow student who told me of his experience with praying in tongues and how it met deep emotional needs in his life. I have no doubt that his experience of this private prayer language served as a benefit to him.

 

My final experience with tongues came during our time in Ireland. While there an American missionary visited us who was convinced that all Christians should speak in tongues. (Note: this was not Paul’s position. Paul treats tongues as one spiritual gift among many, a gift that some Christians have and others presumably don’t, just as some are gifted preachers, but others aren’t.) At any rate, this missionary prayed over me and witnessed me speaking in tongues. However, I should add that speaking in tongues has not played a major role in my life since then. My own experience of it is not that of ecstatic speech but something completely under the control of the speaker.

 

I share all of this just by way of introduction to what I imagine many of you will find to be a very strange passage in 1 Corinthians. So, let’s take a look at what Paul has to say about the spiritual gifts of both tongues and prophecy. Listen for God’s word to you from 1 Corinthians 14:1-25. Paul writes…

 

Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit. But the one who prophesies speaks to people for their strengthening, encouraging and comfort. Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues,[c] unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.

Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air. Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church.

For this reason the one who speaks in a tongue should pray that they may interpret what they say. For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my understanding; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my understanding. Otherwise when you are praising God in the Spirit, how can someone else, who is now put in the position of an inquirer, say “Amen” to your thanksgiving, since they do not know what you are saying? You are giving thanks well enough, but no one else is edified.

I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you. But in the church I would rather speak five intelligible words to instruct others than ten thousand words in a tongue.

Brothers and sisters, stop thinking like children. In regard to evil be infants, but in your thinking be adults. In the Law it is written:

“With other tongues
    and through the lips of foreigners
I will speak to this people,
    but even then they will not listen to me,
says the Lord.”

Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is not for unbelievers but for believers. So if the whole church comes together and everyone speaks in tongues, and inquirers or unbelievers come in, will they not say that you are out of your mind? But if an unbeliever or an inquirer comes in while everyone is prophesying, they are convicted of sin and are brought under judgment by all, as the secrets of their hearts are laid bare. So they will fall down and worship God, exclaiming, “God is really among you!”


Introduction

 

Paul begins this section of his letter by tying it to what has gone before. Last week we looked at 1 Corinthians 13 which is the love chapter of the Bible. We saw how 1 Corinthians 13 was connected to 1 Corinthians 12 where Paul talks extensively about spiritual gifts. All gifts and talents in the church need to be exercised in love. Paul reiterates that point at the beginning of chapter 14. He urges the Corinthians and us to “Follow the way of love and eagerly desire the gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy.”

 

Apparently, the some of the Christians in Corinth were claiming that possession of the gift of speaking in tongues demonstrated that they were the only full recipients of the Holy Spirit of God and that they were, therefore, somehow spiritually superior to other Christians with different gifts.

 

Paul counteracts this notion by affirming that he speaks in tongues more than all the Corinthians, but that he prefers prophecy over tongues. Paul says in verse 5, “The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified.” The implication here is that tongues plus interpretation equals prophecy.

 

Paul tells us he prefers prophecy over tongues for two reasons. First, because prophecy is not, like tongues, incomprehensible without interpretation. Unlike tongues, prophecy is clear to all who hear it right from the get-go.

 

Secondly, Paul prefers prophecy over tongues because prophecy is not, like tongues, of value only to the individual. (Remember my friend at Princeton who used tongues as a private prayer language to communicate with God. I don’t think he ever used it in a public worship service or had someone else interpret what he was saying.) Prophecy is not like tongues in that way. Prophecy is not primarily for the individual. Rather, it is for the whole church.

 

Because Paul prefers prophecy over tongues, I would like us to spend most of our time today looking at prophecy. I want to talk with you about The Purpose of Prophecy, The Nature of Prophecy, and The Results of Prophecy. Then at the end I would like to suggest three applications from this passage to the whole of corporate worship in the church.

 

The Purpose of Prophecy

 

In 1 Corinthians 14:3, Paul gives us three purposes of prophecy. The first purpose of prophecy is strengthening, or what is sometimes called edification. I will say more about this at the end of the message. But literally this word means “to build up”. This means that any purported word of prophecy that undermines or shakes the faith of a Christian is to be disregarded. True prophecy always strengthens, always edifies, always builds up.

 

The second purpose of prophecy is encouragement. The word that is used here is the same word that Jesus uses to refer to the Holy Spirit. Jesus calls the Holy Spirit the Paraclete. A paraclete is one who comes alongside someone else, puts their arm around them and encourages them. Prophecy should always encourage. As I have said before, one of my greatest desires for our worship services and for my preaching in particular is that our services and the preaching of the Scriptures in this place would lift you up. There is so much preaching in the world today that does not do that. In fact, there is a whole style of preaching popular in the southern United States where preachers rake their congregation over the coals every Sunday. Some people in those situations don’t feel like they have been to church unless they have been made to feel guilty. Well, as we will see in a moment, conviction is one result of preaching or prophecy, but it is not the only result and certainly should not be the end result. The purpose of preaching, the purpose of prophecy, is to lift up, to encourage, to come alongside and bolster the listener.

 

The third purpose of preaching that Paul mentions in verse 5 is comfort. Literally, this word means to whisper in one’s ear. There is a lovely scene in C. S. Lewis’s children’s story, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, where the main characters of the story, including three children from our world, are traveling on an ancient boat across a great sea in the land of Narnia, a land of talking beasts. During part of their adventure, they go through a very dark place and amidst the darkness, everyone aboard ship starts to have nightmares. Little Lucy, the most faithful character in all the stories, calls out to Aslan, the Christ-figure of the story, for help. Aslan sends an albatross who flies around Lucy whispering in her ear the beautiful words:“Courage dear heart.”

 

Perhaps those are the same words you most need to hear today: “Courage dear heart.” Something like that is what, I believe, the Holy Spirit wants to whisper to us through every sermon, every prophecy, every bit of preaching or teaching in the church.

 

The Nature of Prophecy

 

Now, let’s look at the nature of prophecy. What is prophecy exactly. Paul tells us in verse 6.

 

First, prophecy is based upon revelation from God. Sometimes the way this works is that a particular gifted individual in the church is given a message direct from God for a particular person or for the church as a whole—a bit of divine guidance if you will. I would not put such divine guidance on the same level as Holy Scripture. In fact, any guidance so received should always be weighed in the balance with Scripture. If it agrees with Scripture, pay attention to it. If not, then disregard the prophecy.

 

Secondly, prophecy may bring some special knowledge. Two weeks ago, I spoke with you about the gift of knowledge in 1 Corinthians 12. Sometimes gifted people in the church are given supernatural knowledge about a person or a situation that they could not have come up with on their own.

 

But then thirdly, prophecy consists of forthtelling the truth. Sometimes prophecy includes foretelling the future. We see this often in Scripture. But more often than not, prophecy is all about forthtelling the truth about God. Prophecy is not the same as preaching. But it has similarities to preaching and preaching may include prophecy. I have experienced this more than once, as I imagine many preachers have. I prepare my message. I write out everything I feel God wants me to say, but then God leads me to say a word I had not prepared. And I have had people say to me, it was like you were reading my mind as you were preaching. Well, that wasn’t me. It was from God.

 

Fourth, prophecy goes on to teaching. One New Testament scholar has said, “Apparently prophecy in these early churches functioned in a role filled now mainly by preaching.” So, while prophecy is slightly different from preaching and teaching, there is overlap.

 

I like this definition from Michael Green. He defines prophecy as “a word from the Lord through a member of his body inspired by his Spirit and is given to build up the rest of the body.”

 

One thing I like about this definition is that it discourages one person privately saying to another: “God told me to tell you…” I have seen a lot of nonsense shared under the cover of those words.

 

Here is one thing I can tell you with confidence. The one thing all of us can “prophesy” with confidence to another person is: “God told me to tell you he loves you.”

 

The Results of Prophecy

 

Now let’s look at the results of prophecy. Paul tells us about four results in verses 24 and 25. First, prophecy brings conviction of sin. That is a negative result in a way. We all need to hear the bad news of our sin before we understand the good news of God’s love and forgiveness.

 

Secondly, prophecy brings people under judgment. There is something cutting about prophecy, but it is a good cutting like that of a loving doctor’s scalpel. Hebrews 4:12 says, “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

 

That leads right to the third result of prophecy Paul talks about. Paul says prophecy reveals the secrets of the heart. That is that aspect of prophecy I mentioned a few moments ago. It gives people listening to a prophet or preacher the sense that he or she has been reading their email. Prophecy reveals the secrets of the heart.

 

Then, fourth, prophecy brings people to their knees before God. And that is the best place in the world to be, between the paws of Aslan, the Lion of Judah, as C. S. Lewis put it in another one of his children’s stories. Prophecy has this effect upon believers, and Paul says, even on unbelievers.

 

It would be my hope and dream that in every one of our worship services there would be people who before that Sunday considered themselves outsiders, and that something in the service, something in the preaching, would bring them inside. William Temple once said, “The church is the only society in the world which exists for the benefit of non-members.” That’s true, and we need to be sure we never forget it. If the church is not making disciples of irreligious people, then everything we are doing here is a waste of time.

 

Three Principles of Worship

 

So finally, let me say just a few words briefly about three overall principles of worship I glean from this passage.

 

First, worship should be edifying. Edification is the key word in this passage. The word appears some seven times in this chapter. Like I said earlier, every worship service ought to build people up, not tear them down.

 

Second, worship should be intelligible. Our worship services should be intelligible not only to Christians, but to non-Christians as well. We should judge every worship service not simply by whether it pleases us who are on the inside but also by whether it is helpful and intelligible to those on the outside. Paul tells us that like musical instruments and human languages, worship must be understandable to be effective. Far too often, sadly, Christians speak in a language that those outside the church do not understand. I call it Christianese. We need to translate all of our Christianese into language that outsiders understand.

 

Thirdly, and finally, worship should engage the mind and the spirit. We need to allow the Holy Spirit of God to stretch and renew our minds and spirits through prayer, singing, thanksgiving, instruction, and, yes, through thinking. The church should not be a place where we check our brains at the door.

 

In closing, allow me to share the story of something I experienced many years ago. I was a young Christian, really still a seeker in many ways, seeking answers to many questions I had about the faith. The summer I turned 19 I went on a four-week trip to the British Isles by myself. A friend told me that when I was in Oxford, I needed to visit a church called St. Aldate’s. So, when I was in Oxford, I found the church and attended a service on Sunday morning. As I walked up to this ancient stone building, darkened by the soot of the city, I suddenly heard emanating from the inside the sound of drums. When I got inside, I experienced a worship service like nothing I had ever experienced before… drums, guitars, piano, and contemporary praise songs I had never heard. So, there I was, in the middle of a group of a few hundred people I had never met before, singing songs I had never heard before, and suddenly, I was so moved by it all in my spirit that I started to weep…and I mean weep uncontrollably, embarrassingly. Well, I finally dried up in time for the sermon by Dr. Michael Green. It was the most intellectually stimulating sermon I had ever heard up to that point in my life. I still remember the passage of Scripture he preached on… 2 Peter 1:3-10. For the first time in my life, I was experiencing worship that engaged all of me: spiritually, emotionally, psychologically, intellectually. And I determined at that moment that was the kind of worship I wanted to engage in for the rest of my life—worship of our Triune God with all my heart, all my mind, all my soul, and all my strength… 


What about you? Is that what you want for your life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

C. S. Lewis on Homosexuality

Arthur Greeves In light of recent developments in the United States on the issue of gay marriage, I thought it would be interesting to revisit what C. S. Lewis thought about homosexuality. Lewis, who died in 1963, never wrote about same-sex marriage, but he did write, occasionally, about the topic of homosexuality in general. In the following I am quoting from my book, Mere Theology: A Guide to the Thought of C. S. Lewis . For detailed references and footnotes, you may obtain a copy from Amazon, your local library, or by clicking on the book cover at the right.... In Surprised by Joy , Lewis claimed that homosexuality was a vice to which he was never tempted and that he found opaque to the imagination. For this reason he refused to say anything too strongly against the pederasty that he encountered at Malvern College, where he attended school from the age of fifteen to sixteen. Lewis did not rate pederasty as the greatest evil of the school because he felt the cruelty displa

Fact, Faith, Feeling

"Now Faith, in the sense in which I am here using the word, is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods. For moods will change, whatever view your reason takes. I know that by experience. Now that I am a Christian I do have moods in which the whole thing looks very improbable: but when I was an atheist I had moods in which Christianity looked terribly probable. This rebellion of your moods against your real self is going to come anyway. That is why Faith is such a necessary virtue: unless you teach your moods 'where to get off', you can never be either a sound Christian or even a sound atheist, but just a creature dithering to and fro, with its beliefs really dependent on the weather and the state of its digestion. Consequently one must train the habit of Faith." Mere Christianity Many years ago, when I was a young Christian, I remember seeing the graphic illustration above of what C. S. Lewis has, here, so

C. S. Lewis Tour--London

The final two days of our C. S. Lewis Tour of Ireland & England were spent in London. Upon our arrival we enjoyed a panoramic tour of the city that included Westminster Abbey. A number of our tour participants chose to tour the inside of the Abbey where they were able to view the new C. S. Lewis plaque in Poets' Corner. Though London was not one of Lewis' favorite places to visit, there are a number of locations associated with him. One which I have noted in my new book,  In the Footsteps of C. S. Lewis , is Endsleigh Palace Hospital (25 Gordon Street, London) where Lewis recovered from his wounds received during the First World War.... Not too far away from this location is King's College, part of the University of London, located on the Strand, just off the River Thames. This is the location where Lewis gave the annual commemoration oration entitled The Inner Ring  on 14 December 1944.... C. S. Lewis occasionally attended theatrical events in London.

The Shepherds' Perspective on Christmas

On December 21, 2015, the following headline appeared in the International Business Times: “Bethlehem Christmas 2015 Cancelled”. To be fully accurate, religious celebrations of Jesus’ birth went forward last year in Bethlehem, but many of the secular celebrations of Christmas that usually surround it were toned down due to instability in the area. Looking back a decade, there was even one year when Christian Arabs canceled community celebrations of Christmas in support of the Palestinian uprising. However, the Jewish government would have no part of that, so the Israeli military sponsored its own holiday celebrations in the area. It is also interesting to note who celebrated the first Christmas and who didn’t. The first Christmas was not celebrated by the emperor Caesar Augustus, nor Quirinius, the governor of Syria, nor was it celebrated by the lowly innkeeper. But Christmas was celebrated by a few lonely shepherds along with Joseph and Mary and the angels of heaven. How

Does the Bible mention treating animals with kindness?

When I solicited questions to be addressed in this series, a member of the congregation wrote this to me: “Animals are mentioned in the Bible as beasts of burden and sacrificial animals.  Is there any mention of treating animals with kindness?” The short answer to that question is: yes. However, it is important to note that what the Bible says about caring for animals comes in the midst of a great narrative. It is a narrative of  Creation, Fall, and Redemption.  Let’s look at these three great acts in the narrative play of world history one by one. First, let’s look at creation. Creation At the very beginning of the Bible, in the book of Genesis, chapter 1, verses 26 through 28, we read this: Then God said, “Let us make humankind in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the

A Prayer at Ground Zero

Christmas Day Thought from Henri Nouwen

" I keep thinking about the Christmas scene that Anthony arranged under the altar. This probably is the most meaningful "crib" I have ever seen. Three small woodcarved figures made in India: a poor woman, a poor man, and a small child between them. The carving is simple, nearly primitive. No eyes, no ears, no mouths, just the contours of the faces. The figures are smaller than a human hand - nearly too small to attract attention at all. "But then - a beam of light shines on the three figures and projects large shadows on the wall of the sanctuary. That says it all. The light thrown on the smallness of Mary, Joseph, and the Child projects them as large, hopeful shadows against the walls of our life and our world. "While looking at the intimate scene we already see the first outlines of the majesty and glory they represent. While witnessing the most human of human events, I see the majesty of God appearing on the horizon of my existence. While

C. S. Lewis on Church Attendance

A friend's blog written yesterday ( http://wesroberts.typepad.com/ ) got me thinking about C. S. Lewis's experience of the church. I wrote this in a comment on Wes Robert's blog: It is interesting to note that C. S. Lewis attended the same small church for over thirty years. The experience was nothing spectacular on a weekly basis. For most of those years Lewis didn't care much for the sermons; he even sat behind a pillar so that the priest would not see the expression on his face. He attended the service without music because he so disliked hymns. And he left right after holy communion was served probably because he didn't like to engage in small talk with other parishioners after the service. But that life-long obedience in the same direction shaped Lewis in a way that nothing else could. Lewis was once asked, "Is attendance at a place of worship or membership with a Christian community necessary to a Christian way of life?" His answer w

Sheldon Vanauken Remembered

A good crowd gathered at the White Hart Cafe in Lynchburg, Virginia on Saturday, February 7 for a powerpoint presentation I gave on the life and work of Sheldon Vanauken. Van, as he was known to family and friends, was best known as the author of A Severe Mercy , the autobiography of his love relationship with his wife Jean "Davy" Palmer Davis. While living in Oxford, England in the early 1950's, Van and Davy came to faith in Christ through the influence of C. S. Lewis. Van was a professor of history and English literature at Lynchburg College from 1948 until his retirement around 1980. A Severe Mercy tells the story of Davy's death from a mysterious liver ailment in 1955 and Van's subsequent dealing with grief. Van himself died from cancer in 1996. It was my privilege to know Van for a brief period of time during the last year of his life. However, present at the White Hart on February 7 were some who knew Van far better than I did--Floyd Newman, one of Van&

Glenmerle

Glenmerle in the 1950s In 2013 I published a biography on one of my favorite authors, Sheldon Vanauken. If you are interested, you can learn more and/or purchase a signed copy here:  Signed Copy  or an unsigned copy here:  Amazon . One of the things that got me writing the book was my search for the location of Glenmerle, Vanauken's childhood home, so lovingly described in his book, A Severe Mercy . A visit to Van's alma mater, Staunton Military Academy, alerted me to the fact that Van grew up in Carmel, Indiana. Then, with the help of a local historian, we identified the location of Glenmerle.  Because Van had suggested, in my first conversation with him, that Glenmerle was destroyed, I naturally assumed that the house no longer existed. However, another one of Van's fans recently contacted me to let me know that she believed she had found Glenmerle still in existence. I was able to look up the house on a real estate web site and compare current interior photos o